Best time to backpack?
I want to go backpacking in Colorado, when should I plan my trip for?
- Snow in the mountains (>10,000) exists into June and even July most years.
- The higher mountains generally are between 9 – 14,000+’.
- The best months for backpacking are July, August, and September.
- In 2011, we could not backpack over the continental divide in Rocky Mountain National Park until late July due to snow.
- In 2012, we are on schedule to be able to cross the high passes in early June.
- Colorado is a high desert and there are 7 mountain chains within the State.
- My favorite month to backpack is September as the weather in most stable, the bugs and crowds gone, and wildlife is most active.