This is a great way to bribe your kids to try snowshoeing with you. Promise them a unique and healthy backcountry sweet treat!
- Add equal amounts water and (organic) cane sugar to a small saucepan over low heat just until combined into a simple syrup. If you are making syrup for four people try starting with a half cup of each.
- Add handfuls of your favorite berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries) to the pan and simmer together until a thick fruit syrup forms. * You may want to puree the berries in a food processor or blender first to make a smoother fruit syrup.
- Let the syrup cool overnight.
- Put the syrup in a container with an airtight seal for your backpack. Bring enough cups and spoons for everyone in your group.
- When you are ready for a snack out on the trail, look for deep snow drifts and dig beneath the surface to find some good clean snow for your snow cone. Fill your cup with clean snow, pour on the syrup and enjoy!